The Gentlemen’s Curb
It’s The Gentlemen’s Curb a lifestyle blog where fashion meets fitness in a BIG way. We are back to share some information with you!
Forget saying something inappropriate at the wrong time, accidentally saying the wrong girls name or spilling food down your crisp white shirt on a first date – nothing has the ability to sap a guy’s confidence more than not knowing his style. It’s not feeling confident in what you’re wearing. It’s the worst. It makes you feel self-conscious, it stops you from being you and, sometimes, it makes you walk funny simply because you’re thinking about it too much.
If this has struck a chord with you, don’t worry. You’re not alone. Dressing well is a skill, which is great news because, just like any other skill, it means you can learn it and get a damn sight better at it.
Of course, trial and error isn’t the most effective way to learn. That’s why we have pulled together a few style tips and sartorial tricks to help you look your absolute best in no time at all. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a complete beginner or have been working on your style for a while and need a refresher, we’ve got you covered.
Accept It’s A Skill.
The sooner you accept looking dapper is a skill the quicker you will go from Clooney in the 70s to Clooney now. That doesn’t just mean you need to keep trying on different clothes until you find the pieces that suit you perfectly, it means subscribing to men’s style magazines, knowing your body shape, understanding what looks you feel confident, pinning different styles and looking at fashion blogs before the lights go out. As a foolproof piece of advice, remember that a gentleman can never be overdressed. Never. It’s a great place to start.
If It Fits Your 90% There.
There are certain things you need to understand in order to have a flawless look, like how to match your suit and shoes and balance colors, but they fall in that 10% labeled “nice-to-know”. The other 90% is simply wearing clothes that fit you well. It’s how celebrities like Brad Pitt, Idris Elba, and the Rock manage to look so flawlessly cool wearing nothing but a pair of jeans and a white t-shirt. We can’t stress this enough: wearing clothes that fit properly will solve 90% of your style problems. Period.
Know The Occasion
While a gentleman can never be overdressed, knowing how to dress for the occasion is a massive part of knowing how to dress well. For example, a summer wedding will lean more toward linen tailoring in shades of stone and cream, while a barbecue at your friend’s house will be more a pair with shorts, bamboo cay shirt, and tasseled loafers. It’s about getting the attention you deserve without seeking it out. Know how to do this and you will become the star of the show without having to raise your voice. Simple.
Classic Style Before Personal
One of the easiest mistakes you can make is thinking you need to create a unique, individual and groundbreaking style. Don’t. Maybe one day, but not yet. Instead, focus on nailing more classic styles first. Look at Steve Mcqueen, Paul Newman, Cary Grant, Basquiat, Muhammad Ali, Malcolm X, and Miles Davis. Start there and then learn how to add a pinch of individuality over time.